Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Finding a Detroit gem!

           As I was approaching another deployment during the summer of 2010 I went to several games. The game from that summer that sticks out in my mind is the one that I went to with two other soldiers in my unit. Chris lives up in that area so we met at his place and took a taxi downtown. It was Elvis night and there were a million Elvis’ running around.We decided to get a drink and it was the first time I had ever had one of those giant slushy alcoholic drinks at Comerica. If you find yourself at Comerica Park and its one of those days where you just need something cool, have a slushy. Make sure you have my favorite: orange. You will thank me, I promise. I can’t tell you the particulars of the game that afternoon but I can tell you that Chris made friends with the loud obnoxious guy next to him that would not shut up! He was from Chicago I believe. He talked to Chris the entire game.

After the game Chris took us to Chelis Chili Bar. Owned by Detroit Red Wings legendary Chris Chelios.  I had never been there and boy was I missing out on a gem. Chelis has a huge Patio just outside of Comerica Park which is a perfect place to meet up with your buddies before a game. On the ground level there is a restaurant and bar which tends to be pretty busy on game day. I have never eaten there but I’m sure one day I will.  From what I hear the chili is amazing!  What is unique about Chelis is that it is a multiple level bar. In the back corner through the dining hall there is a stairwell. It’s an extremely old, rather shabby stairwell that makes you wonder how drunken people can maneuver their way up and down it. It is possible, I happened to do it my very first night at Chelis. The top Level is a small bar that serves canned beer and hot dogs. You are literally on the roof of the building and able to look out over top of Comerica Park. There are also several bleachers on the roof to relax if you don’t have tickets to the game. This has become my go-to spot when I go to a Tigers game.

No comments:

Post a Comment